History of the School
Wade Deacon High School traces its history back to 1507 when the original grammar school
was founded by Bishop William Smyth.
The main building was opened in 1931 as Wade Deacon Grammar School, named after Sir Henry Wade Deacon. He was a prominent local industrialist and for many years, chairman of the Local Education Committee.
The school became fully comprehensive in 1974 and is set on a large campus with extensive playing fields and very good sporting facilities.